Friday, August 25, 2017

That Dreaded Jury Duty?

Maybe I am weird, but I actually don’t mind being called for jury duty.  I see it as my duty, and usually come home with some interesting stories to tell.  Aside from shopping at Walmart (something I do not enjoy), I can think of few places where I can see such a cross-section of society.  I know I am going to meet some interesting people while waiting to be called, and in those long waits in the hallway.  

After all the years of rejection, I actually got to serve on a jury a few years ago.  It was a memorable experience, and great study of group dynamics.  It took us one day to reach a verdict and then three days of deliberation trying to determine the sentence.  There might even be a book based on the case since one of the members of the jury was a retired police detective who now writes crime novels.  In spite of the tension and differences of opinion we left with a sense of accomplishment.  

I thought of all this yesterday when I read a new report from Pew Research.  According to a recent poll, 67% of Americans still equate jury duty with something you do as a civic duty.  Older adults (65+) are most likely (78%), while only 50% of young adults (18-29) held that opinion.  Around 70% of baby boomers and members of generation X view jury duty as a civic responsibility. It is estimated that only about 15% of Americans actually receive a jury summons each year, and only about 5% of us actually get to serve on a jury.

So if most of us see it as sign of good being a good citizen, why all the moaning and groaning when we receive that jury summons?  What message are we sending when we complain publicly about being called to serve?  That is especially the case when the audience might include children, teens and young adults.  I might add that our comments about paying taxes and obeying the traffic laws might also send the wrong message.  One concern about millennials and generation Z (those born since 2000) is that they do not have of sense of national pride as older adults.  It is not enough to just teach American history, we need to be underscoring the responsibilities that go with it.  Even out casual comments might sent the wrong message.


No comments:

Post a Comment