Monday, September 4, 2017

Reformation 500: Where Have We Gone Wrong

Where have we gone wrong?  It was a question I was moved to ask as I read the recent report from Pew Research.  As we get ready to celebrate the 500th Anniversary of the Protestant Reformation staff at Pew Research polled American to gain an insight into how people view the Reformation and the biblical perspective Martin Luther and other reformers espoused.   Obviously we have not gotten the word out effectively.  According to the poll only 17% of mainline Protestants believe that Jesus is the only way to salvation.  Even more shocking is the 53% associate good works with salvation.  While it is difficult to know what portion of those surveyed are Lutheran, it is still shocking to me that so many who view the Reformation as a historically significant event miss the whole point.

My experience tells me that even some “good Lutherans” get confused.  I remember my experience years ago with the Kennedy evangelism approach.   People I spoke with were quick to respond “yes” when asked about their hope for eternal life.  When it came to the question of “how” their response most often was, “I have tried to lead a good life.”  Many of those interviewed had grown up in the Lutheran Church but still were clinging to the idea that “I must have to do something.”

When writing curriculum, whether it was for a Bible class, Sunday school or confirmation, I was taught to make sure the Gospel was clearly presented in each lesson.  When I am asked to preach, I always make sure that the story of salvation is stated clearly.  You never know when someone might be hearing it for the first time.  In discussing faith with others I always err on the side of caution when talking about grace and God’s unconditional love for us.


I know a lot of Lutheran communities are planning special service to celebrate the 500 Anniversary of the Reformation.  I guess that is okay, but I think the best way we can celebrate is by being Gospel-Centered in our dealings with people, especially the lost and those who might be different from us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment