Wednesday, November 8, 2017

In This World You Will Have Trouble...

Like the rest of the world, I was deeply grieved when I heard of the tragic church shootings in Sutherland Springs, Texas.  Unfortunately, I cannot say that I was shocked.  Mass shootings are happening way too frequently, and regrettably church communities often the target.  I was heartened to hear the strong words of hope, and even grace, spoken by the survivors and the entire community of Sutherland Springs.  I recalled the response of the Amish Community in Pennsylvania when a gunman entered a school and mercilessly murders young girls.  They too reacted with grace and forgiveness, even reaching out to the family of the shooter. 

As always, I turned to the scripture in an attempt to keep things in perspective. A couple of things immediately came to mind.

Satan will be active on this side of eternity.  The earth is his playground.  Revelation 12:7-9 provides the account.  Jesus' early followers were well aware of this.  Peter even warns, “Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:9)

The devil will often attack those who are most faithful.  The story of Job is the ultimate example.   Yet, the midst of unimaginable tragedy Job could proclaim, “I know that my Redeemer lives, and I too in my flesh will see him.”  (Job 19:25-27)  Like Job, we too should “long to see Him.”

Jesus told his followers, and that includes us, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)  We are to live each day as conquerors  because we have the ultimate "Conquer" as our leader. 

We must be living, breathing examples of hope and grace in a very troubled world.  We cannot allow ourselves to live in fear.   While we must be prepared for such attacks, we cannot allow fear to control our lives.  Rather, we must live each day joyfully and confidently.  The world, especially the young folks around us, is watching.


No comments:

Post a Comment