Monday, January 28, 2019

Filling in the Family Tree


I have spent the last five days in Michigan visiting my mom and reconnecting with my brothers and their families.  Winter storm Jayden has delayed my return to Dallas.  For the second day in a row I received a text that my flight was cancelled.  I am warm, safe, and contented, other than having to stretch an extra couple of days out of the clothes I packed. It has been decades since I had to wait out a winter storm in Michigan. It is a reminder why we moved south; winter in Texas lasts a couple of days instead of dragging on for months
.
I did have another item on my agenda this trip.  Our son-in-law, John Seale has been working on a family tree.  The branches on my mother’s side of the family are a little slim.  I was hoping to fill in some of the blanks.  I was not disappointed.  It is such a blessing that both my mom and my uncle, Don Ulbrich, have fantastic memories at ages 97 and 95 respectively.  My mom has trouble hearing, and can barely see, but get her talking about family or church history she has a fantastic memory.  This trip the stories just kept coming.  I spent six hours with my mom last Thursday and was never bored. 

I am reminded that the members of Generation Z (those presently teenagers and younger) have a real interest in the legacy of those who have gone before them.  They are motivated by a desire to grow from their experiences and in turn make the world a better place. 

I would encourage you to share your story with your grandchildren.  I think you will discover that while your own children are not that interested in your family tree your grandchildren might be more receptive.  I see a real hope in today’s teens and young adults. 


No comments:

Post a Comment