Tuesday, April 2, 2019

A Tribute to My Mentor


It was thirty-one years ago that I had the call to join the staff at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Dallas.  Barb and I had discussed moving south.  I had turned down one call to Florida and had a couple of other interviews when Holy Cross asked to interview me.  I flew to Dallas and immediately felt comfortable.  The good part of it was the opportunity to focus solely on youth and young adult ministry, probably more important was the atmosphere at Holy Cross.  The senior pastor was Thomas Sorensen and I viewed him as someone I could not only work with but a man who could mentor me. 

I flew back home with a spirit of excitement.  I felt God was calling me to Holy Cross, but there was one major hang-up.  Our oldest son, Peter, was finishing his freshman year at Valley Lutheran High School.  He enjoyed the school but, as an athlete, he really like the basketball program.  We had assured him I would not accept any call without him feeling comfortable.  Pastor Sorensen, a father himself, fully understood and arranged for Barb, Peter and I to spend a weekend in Dallas.  Pastor Sorensen arranged for us to have lunch with Dr. Jerry Brunworth, Headmaster at Lutheran High Dallas.  After the meal we went to visit the school and meet some of the faculty who were on campus, even though it was summer break.  That evening Peter gave us the thumbs up.  A month later we moved to Dallas. 

Being on staff with Pastor Sorensen did not disappoint.  He was a caring pastor and very supportive of my ministry.  At that point I knew my shortcomings and one of them was the gift of compassion.  Pastor Sorensen modeled that.  I often teased him that if I was dying I wanted him at my bedside.  In those situations, nobody could offer prayers for compassion and mercy like Pastor Sorensen. 

Barb, who served as music director, and I both left the staff at Holy Cross when Tom Sorensen retired.  I went on to serve on the faculty at Lutheran High of Dallas and Barb as director of music at Crown of Life Lutheran Church in Collyville.  I stayed in touch with Pastor Sorensen.  We had lunch often.  The visits were always the same.  He wanted to hear about my ministry and my family.  We could not part without him praying for our family, especially our three children.  When Peter and Mark were ordained, Pastor Sorensen braved a winter storm to travel to Fort Worth to be part of the service.  Our son Mark, especially talks about his visits with Pastor Sorensen and how much he learned from him.

Pastor Thomas Sorensen died this past Sunday morning.  I was not surprised.  My visit with him two weeks ago deeply saddened me.  Not only had his health decline but dementia had taken its toll.  I had prompted him on who I was and how we had worked together.  When he spoke little made sense.  He listened as I shared a scripture and devotion.  I ended with a prayer and got up to leave.  I stopped my exit when he began to pray.  His prayer was rambling and made little sense, but I am sure God understood because the compassionate voice was still the same.

Well Done, faithful servant.  I will try to live the legacy.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! What a special man/mentor/friend/brother-in-Christ. Pastor Sorensen modeled compassion beautifully...

    ReplyDelete