Sunday, April 14, 2019

Woe is Me


As part of my preparations for Holy Week I recently read Matthew 23.  In my Bible the chapter is titled “Seven Woes.”  It might be one of the most daunting chapters of the New Testament as Jesus condemns the actions of the church leaders of His day.  His words are biting and piercing.  No one wants to be labeled a “snake,” much less a “hypocrite.”

I have always felt there were two contexts from which to view these verses.  One is the historical context.  The church in Jesus’ day had become legalistic.  The Scribes and Pharisees controlled the religious and social lives of the Jewish people in the same way the Romans controlled the politics and commerce.  The other context is to reflect on how it applies to the church today.  While many outside the Christian community might not use words like “brood of vipers” to describe us, the word hypocritical is often heard.  I will even confess to thinking of times when I have looked at the church in light to Matthew 23 and nodded my head.  Oh how we have lost our way.

As I contemplated Matthew 23 a third context came into focus.  Maybe I needed to take Jesus’ words to heart and view them personally.  I can tell those around me that “it’s not about me,” but often I do think about the impression I am giving.  I do look for the spotlight sometimes, wondering who is watching.  And as an acknowledged affirmation addict I cherish the praise, instead of point to the cross.  And my actions have not always lived up to my words.  I can add the word “hypocrite” to my resume.  The deeper I get into Matthew 23 the more I am convicted.

I guess that is the point of Lent.  As I read Matthew 23, my sins are exposed.  In the end I find myself at the foot of the cross, acknowledging that my sins and shortcomings have nailed the Savior there. 

“Chief of sinners thought I be, Jesus gave his blood for me.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment