Saturday, September 14, 2019

Lessons Learned from Surgery


I have been on a journey over the last six weeks.  I have been very fortunate that at age seventy-three I had pretty much avoided major surgery.  Arthritis had taken its toll on my right hip and I was in constant pain.  Lip replacement surgery was my only option.  I managed to put the surgery off until after the national youth gathering and a family vacation but after a summer of activity, I was ready.   The experience has taught me some lessons.

Preparation:  I had to attend a class to prepare me for surgery.  I cannot stress enough how helpful it was.  While nothing could have fully equipped me for the challenge of the first few days, I understood what was happening and why.  It also helped to know what I would need to function once I was home.  We had all the items lined up, including the walker, shower chair and my trusty “grabber.”  I even have special laces so I could put on my shoes without tying them.

Patience: It takes time to heal and regain your mobility.  I also learned to be patient with other people.  The hospital staff and physical therapist were helpful but they are also busy people.  I learned to wait and appreciate them when I had them.  I am starting to function again but still am only at about 80%. I just need to be patient and follow my routine.
Discipline: Some of the therapy seemed senseless, while others was challenging and caused discomfort.  There was a reason for each exercise.  I had to follow the discipline of doing each exercise at least twice a day.  I also had to track my steps and force myself to walk each day. 

Family and Friends: I could not have done this without the support of those around me.  Our kids and grand kids all pitched in to get the house set up for when I got home.  Barb was a constant companion, meeting even my most basic needs.  She was a continual encourager.  My friend Dave pitched in by not only coming by to visit but getting me to my follow-up with the doctor.  Another friend, Gary, stopped by on a weekly basis to not only chat but do a Bible study with me. 

God’s presence: I was constantly aware of God’s love and presence.  Probably my most difficult time was at night.  The surgery required that I sleep on my back.  That is not normal for me.  In addition, my back hurt and the medication I was on cause me to hallucinate.  My sleep was constantly interrupted.  In the midst of that I could hear God’s voice.  Night after night he would place the right songs or scripture verses in my head to comfort and reassure me.


No comments:

Post a Comment