Monday, September 2, 2019

Pro Life and Pro Jesus


I have always been Pro-Life.  I was in my early years in youth ministry in 1973 when Roe vs. Wade made abortions legal, forever changing our cultural landscape.  Even back then I tried to stay current in terms of helping teens grapple with the issues to the day.  The abortion issue was no different.  We had a Sunday morning youth Bible class that was taught by a young couple.  We also had a Monday night youth forum.  On that evening I would lead a discussion on a current topic.  Our discussion on the abortion issue surprised me.  We were a very conservative church that reflected the middle class suburb where we were located. I knew which side of the issue most the members, including the parents, were on.  But there was a very vocal minority within the group.  Those teens could think of a variety of scenarios where abortion might be a good choice, if not the only option. 

I reflected on those nights of heated discussion as I read the latest data on the issue of abortion published by Pew Research.  To put it bluntly; we are a divided nation.  Unfortunately, those of us who are Pro-Life are in a dwindling minority.  Support to keep abortion legal in all/most cases is at an all-time high 61%.  When Pew Research first started tracking public opinion on the issue in 1995 a similar 60% favored legal abortion.  Sometime around 2007-2008 public opinion was split almost 50%/50%.  Since then the support to keep abortion legal has grown.  When it comes to “completely overturning Roe vs. Wade” opposition has never been higher.  Seventy percent (70%) of Americans say “No do not overturn,” up from 60% in 1992.  If you think that support to keep abortions legal is driven by Millennials who tend to take a more moderate stance on oral issues, you might be surprised.   Fifty-five percent (55%) of older adults (65+) favor keeping abortion legal. 

I can report that our youth group survived the abortion debate in the 70’s.  There were times when the discussion got heated, as many kids mirrored the opinion of their parents.  I usually tried to listen and make sure both sides heard each other.  That continued to be my approach as I counseled teens both as a youth leader and school counselor.  I still maintain that is the best course when we encounter those who disagree with us on all social or moral issues.  I listen, and when I do “speak the truth” I make sure it is done with love.  I want people to see Jesus in me. 

“God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him.”  (John 3:17 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment