Saturday, April 18, 2020

The Best is Yet to Come


In my closet are a pair of old Rockport shoes.  My wife is a bargain shopper and is regularly buying shoes for me when they are on sale.  Lately she has been buying me Sketchers, and I have three pair to wear on a rotating basis.  I also have a pair of Nunn Bush dress shoes.  Still I hold on to the well-worn Rockports.   Until a month ago, I was mainly wearing them when I was working outside.  They are still the most comfortable shoes I own.

For some reason, when the shelter at home order began I started wearing my old Rockports every day.  I have decided they are the only shoes I am going to wear until the “all clear” has been announced.  Not quite sure why, I guess it’s probably because I want something to look forward to.  I live in anticipation of being able to wear my Sketchers athletic shoes when I go for long walks.  I look forward to being able to again put on my Sketchers golf shoes and hit the links.  I anticipate the day I can put on my Nunn Bush dress shoes and return to my duties as a DFW Airport Ambassador.  Until then, each day I put on my old Rockports.
 
I thought about all those unworn shoes in my closet this morning as I read a new statistic from Pew Research.  The team at Pew Research is constantly measuring the pulse of people.  Recently much of their focus has been on the pandemic.  According to the latest data, 73% of Americans feel that “when it comes to the problems the U. S. is facing from the pandemic the worst is yet to come.”

While I might concur that we are not “out of the woods” yet, I want to focus on the future.  My goal is to stay healthy and anticipate what is to come.  The day will come when I can go to the store without wearing a mask and greet people with a smile and kind word.  I anticipate being with my friends and worshipping as a community of believers.  I look forward to joining friends for lunch and for those Friday evening meals at Saltgrass Steakhouse with Barb.  Until then I will put on my Rockports and journey through each day in anticipation.  I await the end the “shelter in place” order, but I also anticipate the reunion with friends and ultimately the joyful reunion in heaven with those I love.  That is what is getting me through this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment