Sunday, May 3, 2020

Celebrating The Class of 2020


I spent eleven years of the staff at Lutheran High School of Dallas (now called Dallas Lutheran School) as a counselor.  I often refer to those as my best years in ministry.  I had been in church youth ministry for twenty-seven years.  In parish youth ministry kids drift into your life a couple times a week.  To be honest, most of my time was spent planning, rather than hanging with kids.  In a school environment I was with kids eight hours or more five days a week.  I got to relate to students as a counselor, teacher, coach and even friend.
 
May was always my favorite month of the school year.  Sure, there was anticipation of the end of the school year and the summer break, but there was also so much to celebrate.  I enjoyed walking along-side the seniors as they closed out their high school education and anticipated the future.  Many of them took on a new level of maturity. I never much of a prom and party guy, I was more into personal celebrations.  I knew the students who had struggled academically and were now going to be able to celebrate their accomplishments.  I enjoyed worshiping at the baccalaureate service but probably even more the fellowship that followed.  I especially valued the commencement experience and as we took time to celebrate each student. 

I am grieving from afar this particular commencement season.  The Class of 2020 is experiencing graduation in a way life no other.  The pandemic means no prom, no senior parties and honors convocation.  It there is a commencement ceremony it is either going to be delayed or look very different.  I am left wondering how you can have a graduation celebration without hugs. 

I would ask that you take time to recognize the graduating seniors in your life.  That will be easy for those who are part of your family, children and grandchildren, but I would ask you to think about the young people you know through your church and neighborhood.  A card and personal note probably will have more meaning now than ever.  Most of all lift them up in prayers.  These seniors are going to need patience and courage like no class before.  They are graduating into a world full of unknowns.  There are questions about what the college experience will look like in the future.  There might even be economic unknowns.  Family financial situations might have changed to the point that college has to be delayed.  The economic environment will also be impacted if they are looking for a job. 

With our encouragement, the Class of 2020 will be able to use this experience to change the world like not other.  After all, they have already survived a pandemic.


No comments:

Post a Comment