Monday, June 8, 2020

Black Lives Matter: Please Listen and Learn.


In my last blog I wrote why I see the Black Lives Matter protest to be different this time.  The seven days since that blog was posted have reinforced that perspective.  The intensity is still there and now, in some cases, law enforcement officers and civic leaders have even joined in the cry for change. 

I must admit that each day I become more frustrated with the current situation.  I am deeply disturbed on multiple levels.  I am troubled because the demonstrations are not going away, and in fact seem to be growing in numbers and intensity.  I distressed because some of the cries for change, like defunding police departments, do not make sense to me.  I am probably most distraught that this is happening in a time with I am forced to shelter at home.  I so long to be with people and to have the opportunity to be an agent for change.

Subsequently, I am using this time to broaden my knowledge.  I sincerely want to listen and understand.  Only when I can view things through the eyes of others can I in some minute way begin to grasp the “why” behind the voices for change.  Two podcasts in particular have impacted my life.  I would recommend you invest the watch them both.  You can find them on Youtube.  The first one is titled Y’all-itics-My Skin is not a Weapon.  It is a conversation between two Reporters from WFAA (the ABC affiliate in DFW) and four Black individuals.  Here is the link https://youtu.be/wi7JamnR2m4. The second is the most recent edition of Dale Earnhardt Junior’s Download podcast.  It features an interview with Bubba Wallace, the only current NASCAR driver who is Black. Here is the link, https://youtu.be/wi7JamnR2m4.

I appeal to you to please listen and learn.





No comments:

Post a Comment