Monday, June 22, 2020

Seeing the Blessings of COVID-19


Music has always been a big part of my world, which explains why Alexa has become such a blessing.  The Amazon Alexa was a Christmas gift from our oldest son Peter and his family.   His intent was that it be a link when they moved from Texas to the east coast.  Indeed, it has.  It is not uncommon to hear Alexa beep and then to see his image appear on the screen.  Most of the time he is just checking in. 

Little did I know when I plugged in my Alexa that it would become the soundtrack of my life.  I can program the music to fit my mood.  Alexa play Johnny Mathis and similar artist… Alexa play Journey and similar artist….  Alexa play Trisha Yearwood and similar artist…  When I am writing or doing research my preference is soft Christian contemporary music; Kari Jobe, Nichole Nordeman or Laura Story.  It is one particular song that has become a godsend as I navigate this strange new world that I am living in.  The song is Blessings by Laura Story.

“‘Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise.”

The pandemic has rocked my world and altered my life in a way I could never imagine.  Every time I take a personality inventory it confirms the fact that I am an introvert.  As such you would think I would find the opportunity to shelter at home a boon.  I have more time to read, to write and do research.  But… I do need people in my life.  Granted, I can call people on my cell phone or even zoom conference with them, but there is no intimacy in that.  I long for a hug.  I want to see people face to face and laugh and cry with them.  The reality of the current situation is that is not going to happen until we can find a cure for COVID-19.  I can ask God to take this away but the reality is His is response seems to be “In my time, my son.”

That’s where the song comes in.  The song has been around for years.  Laura Story won a Grammy for Blessings in 2012.  I know I had heard the song countless times, but in my current context I was drawn to it.  It caused me to do some research and, in the process, I found the history behind the song.  Blessings was created out of circumstance.  Shortly after her marriage, her husband, Martin Elvington, was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  While Martin recovered, it has been a journey and he continues to struggle with the effects.  In the process Laura Story admits she has asked God, “Why don’t you just fix it.”  It was her sister who put things into perspective with the words, “You know, I think the detour is actually the road."

It has forced me to put a different spin on my current situation.  Perhaps this pandemic is a sign of God’s love and mercy.  I need to dwell in that.  Maybe this is God’s way of slowing me down and actually drawing me closer to Him.  Instead of praying for a solution, perhaps I need to be focusing on the peace and hope that I have in Jesus.  The things of this world are fleeting, but His love for me is eternal.


No comments:

Post a Comment