Saturday, July 11, 2020

Online Worship is Like Eating A Fine Meal without Taste Buds


Barb and I have settled into a Sunday morning routine.  Being sheltered at home has provided the unique opportunity to join all three of our children for online worship.  At 8:00 AM we watch our son, Peter, lead outdoor worship at First Lutheran in Towson, Maryland.  At 9:30 AM we switch to our home church, Prince of Peace Lutheran in Carrollton, Texas.  Our daughter, Katie, is director of worship at Prince of Peace and usually up front helping lead the singing.  At 10:30 we are able to join the service at Tree of Life Lutheran Church in Garland, Texas where our son, Mark, serves as pastor.

The pandemic has offered me more opportunities for spiritual growth and reflection.  I participate in an online devotion with one of my pastors each morning at 8:00 AM.  In addition to the reading I am doing as research for my latest project, I am revisiting some of my favorite Max Lucado books.  I have also discovered the writings of Robert Farrar Capon.  I am especially enjoying his insights into the Parables. 

You might think I am in a good place spiritually right now.  I am surviving the pandemic and managing to stay healthy, but something is missing.  The emptiness that I am feeling comes from the lack of fellowship with other believers.  Seeing their names in the chat box during worship is not the same thing as being with them on Sunday morning.  I miss the handshakes and hugs.  Probably even more, I long for the intimacy that is found within the family of God.  We share struggles, support each other in times of crisis and pray together.
 
In some ways, online worship is a little like enjoying a fine meal with no taste buds.  You know the food is good, but can only imagine what it actually tastes like. 

Evidently, I am not alone in my feelings.  A recent report from the Barna Group reveals that one third of Christians are not worshiping during this pandemic.  If worshipping online is the only option, they are opting out.  The trend is even more dramatic among Millennial Christians.  A shocking 50% of Millennials who were attending worship regularly prior to COVID-19 have not participated in online worship.  So they are watching religious podcast and reading devotional books, but many have simply put the practice of their faith on hold.

If it is a challenge for me, I know that it is double for pastors, church educators and others who lead.  How do you create a feeling of fellowship among believers at a time when we are forced to social distance?  Somehow, I know the answer lies not in me but in turning to the Holy Spirit.  I can only cry, “Come Quickly.”



No comments:

Post a Comment