Monday, July 6, 2020

Stupid Young Adult Tricks


It was my last night on campus at the end of my freshman year in college.  I had two exams still to go.  I had my notes for my Biology final in front of me.  The final was important.  I was barely maintaining a C in the class.  My studying was interrupted by a knock on the door.  Two of my dorm friends enter the room grinning from ear to ear.  They were inviting me to an off-campus party.  The offer to spend one last night celebrating with friends.  We could not have alcohol on campus.  The opportunity to share a case of beer with friends was too tempting. 

Reflecting back, it was just another example of the poor choices I made during my high school and college years.  Somehow, I survived although my C in biology slipped to a D.  Funny, I struggle now to remember the names of the two friends.  As I recall they did not survive the cut and didn’t make it back for their sophomore year. 

I have thought about some of the sins of my youth in recent days as images of young people celebrating The Independence Day Holiday have been featured on the news.  There was even a report of a fraternity party where they placed bets on who would be the first person to contract the virus.  The images of young people partying shoulder to shoulder, beverages in hand, on beaches were indeed disturbing.  No mask and definitely no social distancing.

The unfortunate reality is we should not be surprised.  Young people are not wired to always make wise choices.  The pre-frontal cortex, the portion of the brain where decisions are made, is not fully developed until the mid-twenties.  When you add in the fact that early on we got mixed messages about the effect of the virus on young people, it is easy to understand why they might not get it.
 
So, it is incumbent on those of us who are older to focus on two things.  First off, we need to take care of ourselves.  As much as I do not like having to be sheltered at home, I know it is what I need to do.  Secondly, we need to be examples of faith and hope at this time.  Granted, most of our communication these days is limited but still what we share with our friends, whether it be via phone, zoom or social media, needs to reflect the hope we have in Jesus.  The world, perhaps even some young folks, is watching.


No comments:

Post a Comment