Thursday, April 29, 2021

On Being a Patriarch

 

We just returned from a quick weekend trip to Detroit.  It was the first time I had been on an airplane in over a year.  The plane was full and the airport seemed busy, but felt very safe.  There was a dual purpose for the trip.  Our Uncle Don died from COVID over a year ago and it was not until Saturday that we were able to celebrate his life with his church family.  On Sunday we celebrated our mom’s 100th birthday.  Mom had not been out of the nursing home in over a year.  It took about an hour but once she got warmed up, she was sharing stories and had us laughing.  Mom can barely see and has always been hard of hearing, but there is no doubt her mind is sharp.

It was quite a gathering with over thirty of us traveling from Baltimore, Columbus, Ohio and Dallas to join the family that live in Michigan.  In the midst of the celebration, I became aware of a reality; I am the patriarch of the family.  Uncle Don was 97 years-old and never married.  He was always like a second dad.  When our dad died in 2004 it just seemed natural to consider my Uncle as the male head of the family.  Even though he has been dead for a year, this weekend just felt different. 

Then I got to pondering on what being the patriarch of a family actually means.  In my mind, the primary thing a patriarch is to do is make sure the family legacy is maintained.  That requires not just modeling and leading by example but encouraging those who follow to walk as disciples as well.   As I reflected on that thought, it occurred to me that that is what I have always tried to do. 

I truly believe that is what all of us are called to do as members of the Body of Christ.  Passing on the legacy of faith is vital.  I sincerely believe the reason the church has struggled over the last few decades is because adults, especially Baby Boomers, have focused on themselves and neglected passing on the heritage of faith.  We’ve done a good job of kingdom building and failed at building God’s Kingdom.  Personal wealth and success have become a higher priority than passing on the Gospel message of grace and hope.

Now I want to do my best to stay healthy so that my tenure as patriarch is long and productive. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment