Friday, June 11, 2021

What to do About Pride Month

 June is Pride Month, and I am not sure what to do with that.  It is a thirty-day celebration marked by a variety of activities, including a Pride Parade.  It seems that there are rainbows everywhere.  Most major league baseball teams are participating by having a Gay Pride Day.  The major television networks are not only recognizing Gay Pride but doing feature stories on how far we have come as a society when it comes to recognizing our difference.

The "Gay Pride" movement traces its roots back to 1969.  Thom Higgins, a gay rights activist from Minnesota, and Brenda Howard, known as the “Mother of Pride” coordinated the first Pride march in New York City.  It has continued to grow and now is celebrated world-wide.  Contemporary culture has only fortified the movement as Millennials and Gen Z’s work to promote principles of tolerance and acceptance.  Even major Christian denominations have stepped on board, with rainbow flags and signs appearing on church property.  Even so, it is a struggle for me.  It is difficult for me to recognize, much less celebrate, a lifestyle I view as totally against God’s plan for us. 

I was challenged in my perspective on the LGBT movement many years ago.  The house next store to us went through a foreclosure and months of being vacant, falling into disrepair.  We rejoiced when a young woman bought the house.  Her parents soon showed up to help her do repairs and redecorate.  Then, shortly after she moved in, her female partner moved in as well.  Still, I extended the hand of friendship.  I got to know them.  I discovered that they both had great jobs at a major accounting firm.  They asked what I did, and I sensed a level of discomfort when I told them I was in full-time youth ministry.  My faith was now out in the open.

I still did my best to be a good neighbor.  When a lightning strike caused major damage and disrupted our routine, we joined forces and shared a generator to keep things running.  I recall helping them jump-start their car.  I tried to be friendly, always extended a greeting when we crossed path.  Still, it was a little uncomfortable.  I recall Mark and Katie, who were in grade school at the time, inquiring why when they had a pool party, all their friends were women. 

The day finally came when I saw them carrying out boxes.  Soon a van showed up and it was obvious they were moving out.  I inquired and found out they had bought another house in up-town Dallas, closer to where they worked.  In the process, I received an unexpected surprise.  The homeowner thanked me for a being a great neighbor.  She went on to say she recognized our differences but that was never a barrier.

My hope is that somehow, our brief friendship left a positive impression that as a Christian, I accepted her for who she was.  Taking it a step further, we need to remember that we are called to be Jesus, who always accepted people where they were at.  Without a relationship, He could never move them to where He wanted them to be.  Paraphrasing John 3:17, “We are not called to judge or condemn others but rather to love them and be Jesus in their lives.” 

So, while I will not celebrate Pride Month, I will view it as a reminder that Jesus came to save the lost.  He loves us, with all of our flaws and calls us into a relationship.  Only in that relationship can we discover his grace, love and the eternal plan He has for each of us.

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. This is "a great and moving" testimonial. I am so in line with your comments. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you looking for June pride month activities? If so, you've come to the right place! pride month activities for work are a great way of supporting the LGBT+ community and helping employees to feel appreciated.

    ReplyDelete