Saturday, April 4, 2009

Book Update

When I retired from my position as school counselor at Lutheran High School of Dallas one of my goals was to publish a book on my experience working with teenagers and their parents. My desire was to share insights based on my observations. No parents wants to negatively affect the life of their child but all parents make mistakes along the way. Many of those mistakes are made out of ignorance. Over the years I had identified seven common mistakes. Those mistakes provided the basis for the project.

It's been a long road but the manuscript has finally been submitted. I made the decision early on to publish the book myself. I wanted control over the project. My desire was to confront the issues and in the process help parents do a better job. Self publishing allows me to do that, although it does mean shouldering the cost of producing the book myself.

Parenting Without Guilt: How to Avoid the Seven Things Parents do to Screw-Up Their Kids has now been submitted a publisher. I am working with Outskirt Press, a division of Amazon.com. They also partner with Barnes and Noble providing a retail presence.

While the publisher will be helping me market the book, I am relying on friends and former colleagues to spread the word as well. Folks who have read the manuscript tell me they found it insightful and practical. A companion Bible study can be used for small group or personal study.

A lot of folks have supported and encouaged me along the way but a special word of thanks goes to my editor Mindy Walz. Watch for more updates on the production process and anticipate the release of the book later this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment