Monday, February 1, 2010

Your Teen's Role Models

The Grammy Awards were on TV last night. There was a time when I enjoyed watching the Grammy Awards. Last night I tried to avoid it. I found a good book and sat by the fire. Sometime over the last decade contemporary music left me behind. My interest in The Grammy Awards waned when Rap was given it's own category.

I hear people talk about the lifestyles of the current rich and famous. The images I see of Lady Gaga are disturbing. I don't know much about her but I am not sure I would want my daughter seeing her as a role model. I understand Stevie Nicks sang a duet with Taylor Swift. Stevie was part of Fleetwood Mac, a group I still enjoy listening to but I have never considered them role models. I guess the every generation has it's share of negative role models, as well as a few of those who are positive.

I believe it's essential that parents pay attention to who their kids view as role models. Take time to talk about what they saying and doing. Help them process what they are seeing and hearing. Ask questions such as: How do you feel about what they said? or "What do you think about what they are wearing?" When it comes to music, check out the lyrics and discuss with your teen the message a song is sending. Instead of complaining about the culture your teen lives in, become familiar with it. You can't ignore it because it's a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment