Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Does the Plumber Need a College Degree?

As I thumbed through the newspaper this morning I was reminded that it's getting down to crunch time for many high school students. One article focused on the fact that college is not for everyone. Another pointed out the role that apprenticeships may play in helping those not headed to college.

Having spent eleven years in a high school counseling office I remember the stress that came with this time of year. Seniors were approaching decision time in terms of which school to attend and junior were developing their list of schools they needed to visit. Then their was the angst that came from parents whose seniors had decided college was not for them.

I was at a school where a high percentage of our graduates went on to college. When the parents of perspective students visited on campus they did not ask if our graduates went to college, rather they wanted to know what kinds of colleges and universities welcomed our students.
Even then it bothered me that some parents saw college as a panacea. If we can just get them that college degree they will have the ticket to a successful career and life.

Don't get me wrong. A college education has tremendous benefit. Barb and I have three college graduates. All three had a positive college experience. They have all used that education to pursue careers and have achieved a degree of success, but I would never have force any of them to go to college. College is not for everyone.

It's really vital that kids cast a vision as to where they would like to be. During my years in a high school setting we used a variety of instruments and tools to help kids identify their interest and talents and then research career possibilities that matched. I recall a heated discussion with a dad whose son wanted to be a mechanic. Two older siblings had gone off to college and he was planning the same for #3. The kid was a natural with car engines. He bailed me out one afternoon when my vehicle wouldn't start. He also told me what I should report to my mechanic. He was on target too.

We need mechanics and electricians and plumbers, just like we need doctors, teachers and engineers. If I have a broken pipe, I could care less if the plumber they send out has a college education. I just want someone who can fix the problem.

Talk with your teens about their plans and dreams. Help them to focus on what they want to become, then bless them and set them free to pursue that dream. College might help them reach that goal but maybe trade school or the armed services would be more beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment