Friday, March 19, 2010

Substance Abuse and Second Chances

I am a baseball fan. I grew up in Detroit and maintain my allegiance to the Tigers but I also follow our local team, The Texas Rangers. Like the rest of the sports world I was stunned by the news that Rangers' manager, Ron Washington, had admitted to the use of cocaine during last baseball season. Ilike Ron. He's a players manager and he's done a good job putting the team in a position where they can be successful.



While I was disturbed at Ron Washington's disclosure, I was even more troubled by the response of many in the local media. Most local sportscasters called for his resignation. "How could the Rangers put an individual who had exhibited such indescretions in a position of authority of a group of young men," many reasoned. They pointed to the presence of Josh Hamilton, a recovering addict himself, in the club house. Baseball mangers must be held of a high standard, they rationalized.

I encountered the issue of substance abuse numerous times as I worked with teenagers. This was especially the case during the eleven years I worked in a high school counseling office. I always felt blessed to be at a school that allowed students a second chance. While there were definite consequences, first offenders were encouraged to get help. We also monitored their behavior and classroom performance. The involvement of parents in the process was crucial. I also had an undestanding with the school administrators so that if I intervened prior to their involvement, there would be no consequences and no questions asked.

I recognize that fact that Ron Washington is not a teenager, he is in fact 57 years old. He is also in a position of authority, but I concur with Ranger management. Team President, Nolan Ryan, and General Manager, Jon Daniels, both stated they treated the manger the same way they would treat any employee. Their number one concern was for the individual and getting them the help they needed. Based on that, Ron Washington was allowed to continue in his job while getting the counseling he needed.

There is a lesson here for parents. Any at risk behavior must be taken seriously but we should be slow to judge and quick to offer help and support. Consequences yes. Condemnation no.
1) Confront the issue. 2) Get them help they need. 3) Monitor their future behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment