Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Why is it so Tough to Forgive?

I sensed that a lot of people were uncomfortable in our church last Sunday. The text for the message was from Luke 6: the part that begins, "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you." The typical response to such a request is, "After what they've done for me, you want me to do what?"

During the education hour I had the opportunity to take the opposite side. Our church uses Group Publishing's Faithweaver curriculum. When we split into discussion groups someone was supposed to take the opposite point of view. That was no problem. I could think of countless reasons I should not forgive those who have hurt me or even just threatened my turf. That covers a lot of ground from those who cut me off on the highway, to those who at one time personally attacked me in a church congregational meeting. How unthinkable that they want me removed from my ministry.

The answer is "yes" to all of the above. Wait, make that a resounding "yes."

Consider my favorite parable: The Forgiving Father (Luke 15:11-32). In the story the father takes back the wayward son, no questions asked. The kid had blown half the family inheritance and embarrassed the family name. No, "How could you do this to us?" or "Where have you been?"

We have a model in our Heavenly Father who welcomes us home in the same way. When we approach with repentant hearts He just forgives, no questions asked.

While it might be difficult to forgive those "nameless so and so's" who cut us off on the highway, it should not be that challenging to forgive our own offspring. Unfortunately that isn't always the case. Our kids mistakes cost us money and damage our reputation. Still, the reality is our kids will always be our kids. That means loving them when they let us down in the same way we do when they make us proud.

That's the kind of Heavenly Father we have and that's the kind of earthly parent he wants us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment