Tuesday, March 15, 2011

CHEATING: WHERE IS IT ROOTED?

Two news articles that I read last week reminded me that cheating continues to be a growing problem in our schools.

During my years at Lutheran High School of Dallas, I taught advance placement psychology in addition to my responsibilities as a school counselor. My students were required to do a research paper. As part of grading process I would check to make sure the papers were actually the work of the students and not plagiarized. On the average, one paper in five had at least in part been copied from the internet. Often whole papers had been downloaded. I required those who had cheated to re-write the paper. They were docked 10% - 25% on their grade, depending on the degree of the offense.

According to the Josephson Institute on Values, 62% of students admit to having cheated on a test. Over 50% acknowledge copying all or part of a major paper.
80% confessed to copying another student's homework. A recent article in USA Today reported that one-half of all teens admit to storing information on their cell phone that is then used during a test.

Cheating is not limited to students. Teachers at George Washington Carver Academy, a charter school in Highland Park Michigan, are under the watchful eye of state officials. In the past the teachers were caught altering the scores on state proficiency tests. Across the country, thousands of teachers admit to having doctored tests scores. It's no wonder. The pressure is on teachers to perform. Salary incentives and even their jobs might be on the line if performance does not improve.

Before we start judging students and teachers, let me ask you a question. Do you always drive at the speed limit? My experience tells me probably not. I do obey the posted limit. When I drive Interstate 635, the loop that circles Dallas, I often feel like I am a highway cone. It seems like no one is driving the speed limit. I know the excuses because I have heard them. "I need to speed just to keep up with traffic," or "The police won't bother you unless you are going at least
10 MPH over the limit."

The reality is: Cheating is cheating. Sixty MPH means the speed limit is sixty. You exceed that and you are breaking the law. And that is where cheating is rooted.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete