Thursday, March 31, 2011

Taking the i Out of My Phone

About a month ago I got my first i-Phone. Barb has had her for over a year. Mark and Katie have Apple smart phones as well. My old phone broke; Coming from a counseling background, it's really frustrating when I have a phone where people can hear me but I can't hear them. It would have cost almost $100 to replace my old phone. When I asked for other options I was shown an i-Phone which was half of the cost. I am learning to use it, although for the first few weeks I wondered how a smart phone could make a person feel so dumb.

It is really a useful tool. I was at a conference last week and took my notes on my phone and then e-mailed them to myself so I could print them when I got home. I appreciate being able to access e-mails on the road, and map/GPS feature is helpful.

While I am becoming more comfortable with the phone, I am still struggling with the name. I recognize Apple intent in marketing product with the name "i". But really, does our self absorbed culture does not need another product that focuses on the individual. Personally,I don't want my phone to be about me. I want it to be a vehicle that allows me access to others and their worlds. If there is a convenience, it should come from my ability to be more organized and accessible.

Today's technology is amazing. I can't comprehend where we might be ten years from now, considering how different our world is today from even five years ago. When I reflect on how different our world is today from when our kids were teens I marvel at the great communication system God has given us. Texting gives you instant access into your teen's world. Even if they don't respond, they will still see your message to "Be careful" and "Stay safe." They will take your parental conscience with them wherever they go. Imagine that: Your kids will always have a link to you in their pocket or purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment