Wednesday, March 23, 2011

How Do We Respond to Authority?

I grew up on the eastside of Detroit. I recall a time when a neighbor's house caught fire. As kids we had the opportunity to watch all the action as the firemen battled the flames. We then spent months as "sidewalk superintendents" watching the remodeling. We were just grateful that it wasn't our house. I get the same feeling living in Dallas and not being a Dallas Cowboy fan. It's great entertainment and I am just glad it's not my team.

It's happened again. Two the local heroes were in trouble over the weekend. In the case of wide receiver Dez Bryant, his actions not only made the news but raised some eyebrows. Mr. Bryant was with some associates at North Park Mall when the security folks, who are off-duty Dallas Police, asked them to pull up their shorts because their underwear was showing. Instead of complying, Mr. Bryant cursed at the officers and pointed out that they were not stealing anything or doing something illegal. It seems that this is not the first time North Park security has had to deal with Mr. Bryant. There have been two other incidents where he has gotten into arguments with a shopkeeper and with a female friend.

I guess what is troubling to me is the way this individual responded to authority. The request was simple. "Pull up you pants." I am not sure that a "No Sagging" sign is posted at North Park, but I know I have seen them in other public places where young people gather. When an authority figure, especially a police officer, asks you to do something, your only response should always be "Yes Sir," or "Yes Mam."

I don't know much about Dez Bryant's background. Perhaps he hasn't had the role models in his life who taught him how to respond to those in authority. If that is the case, I hope someone steps in soon to be that figure. What is troubling to me is the number of times I have witnessed similar responses from young people who should know better. Often the source of their antagonistic behvior becomes clear when I meet their parents. The "adults" in this case are quick to defend their "child" while calling into question any adult who would accuse their son/daughter, no matter what position of authority they might have.

Your kids are watching to see how you respond to the authorities in your life. When you show respect, and a willingness to cooperate, you are teaching them a valuable lesson. And before you jump to any conclusions, make sure you have all the information.

1 comment:

  1. Thumbs up and high fives as you are right on in this article. I work with the adult general public and see this "Don't tell me what I can and cannot do" attitude all the time. This goes along the same lines as bullying. I would bet the young kid who bullies has a parent who does the same either at home, in the work place or both. It is time for a big time Revival!

    ReplyDelete