Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wealthy People Behaving Badly

This is a summer of extreme weather for those of us who live in Texas. We are approaching the all-time record for days with a temperature of 100 degrees or more. We also are in an extreme draught situation. As a result, all citizen are being asked to make voluntary adjustments. I have not watered the lawn in two weeks. The only outside watering I do is the soaker hoses around the foundation to prevent damage. We also are adjusting our thermostat up a few degrees in the afternoon and not using any appliances until evening. Most people I know are making similar accommodations in order to conserve both electricity and water. No rolling blackouts yet.

Not all people are cooperating, however. According to news reports over the weekend, on the estates of some of the wealthiest folks in Dallas, the lawns are as lush and green as ever. Their sprinkler systems and fountains continue to run like normal. In addition, all the special lighting that does nothing but enhance the beauty of there palatial estates continue to burn late into the night. On the Fort Worth side, one of the most exclusive country clubs has expanded its watering in order to keep the golf course green in these extreme times.

It's not surprising to see this kind of behavior. We live in a self-absorbed society. If the rules don't fit, I will adjust them to suit my needs. We see it daily on the roadways. If the speed limit doesn't fit my driving style, I will adjust them rather than conform. If the lines at the grocery store are too long, I expect them to allow me in the express lane, or to open up another lane just for me.

Extreme times offer us the opportunity to set an example for our children. If we behave in a self-absorbed manner, we are giving them permission to do the same. I have to wonder where our world is headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment