Thursday, September 8, 2011

Staying Grounded at Ground Zero

As the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy approaches, we all have memories of that day. I was at work as a school counselor that day. As the day began I was meeting with two students who had chosen to go AWOL the previous day. Their motive was good, a friend was in trouble and they skipped school to drive to Arkansas to help them. But both students had a history of struggling academically and could ill afford to have missed a day of class. I was trying to walk them through the decision making process when our principal interrupted. Pat respect my office and my responsiblity to students. In this case, the look on her face told me something was seriously wrong. "I need you now," she stated. Once in her office she informed me as to what had taken place on the east coast. "We need to do something to let the kids know God is still in charge," she concluded. While I had been in my "counselor bubble" most of the students had watched the events transpire on classroom televisions.

We decided to switch to a chapel schedule, which called for worship after second hour. I was the logical one to serve as leader.

Our family was already in turmoil that day. My wife, Barb, had been diagnosed with breast cancer the previous afternoon. The first of her multiple surgeries was scheduled for September 13. Now,in comparison to the crumbling towers, our tragedy seemed insignificant. Still, there was a big question mark over our future and now our nation's security.

My words to the student body that day were based on one of my favorite scripture passages. "I look to the hills. Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip. He who watches over you will not slumber." (Psalm 121:1-3)

Jesus tells us, and the realities of this world constantly remind us, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

Those are words we need to repeat as we commemorate the tragedy that was 9/11. This side of heaven, there are going to be more tragedies. We all are one breath away from eternity. So, we live fearlessly and confidently. That is a message we need to say loud and clear to our children in both words and actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment