Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Is Texting at School at School OK?

I have not update my blog over the last few weeks. I've been a little preoccupied with our daughter's wedding. It was quite an event and in the process I learned again the value of family. Having so many folks traveling to DFW from all over the country, made for a special celebration.

There were a couple of news events that have happened over the last few of weeks that deserve to be commented on, but one at a time. A few weeks back the Plano, Texas Independent School District decided it was OK for students to use their cell phone outside of the classroom during the school day. That means students are free to text in the school hallways and lunchroom. When I posted this news on Facebook I got an immediate response from adults, many of whom are teachers. To sum it up: adult sided in against the change, seeing it as giving in to kids.

I have taken a random poll of teens and most don't see it as being a big deal. Many admitted that they were already texting at school, even if it was against the rules. Most felt making it legal would allow them to come out of their lockers. In this case I feel a tendency to side with the kids. While I am among those who grieve the loss of meaningful eye contact, I find some comfort in knowing that texting probably saves a few trees in Oregon every day. The reality is texting is part of our culture. Let's embrace it and help kids learn how to use it effectively. A great topic for conversation might be: What messages should always be delivered face to face rather than via text?

No comments:

Post a Comment