Friday, September 30, 2011

A SPECIAL GAME FOR SPECIAL KIDS

I spent Wednesday night watching my grandsons play baseball. The schedule made it possible for me to see all three boys play in one evening. I did not expect the most memorable part of my evening would happen on the walk between the two games. The University Little League plays at a beautiful complex in south Fort Worth. There must be at least ten well manicured fields where kids age four to twelve can complete. Caleb and Jonathan were playing a pee wee game at one end of the park. Andrew's game followed at the opposite end of the complex.

There was a fifteen minute period between the two games. As I made my way I was drawn to a game taking place on another field. What caught my attention was that the number of adults on the field outnumbered the kids. It's not unusual to see a parent video taping a game, but these folks stood in the middle of the action. The bleacher were filled with fans who seemed even more vocal than usual. I was intrigued. As I ventured over to the fence I began to understand why all the attention. The players in this case were special needs kids. Some wore braces, and one was in a wheelchair. The scoreboard was operating but I don't think anyone noticed the score. I watch for a few minutes and then continued on.

Later I noticed that the game had concluded. All the fans had exited the bleachers and had joined those who had been on the field. They formed two lines at the gate where the players would leave the field. As each player exited they were greeted with cheers and high-fives. It's hard for me to remember a time when I had seen more smiling faces after a game. There were no losers this time.

Athletic competition is part of our culture. Most of the time with kids, we put too much emphasis on winning. It was nice to be reminded that when it comes to kids, making sure they have the opportunity to participate and have a positive experience is most important. I wish every child had the opportunity to leave the playing field as happy and affirmed as did those special needs kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment