Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lenten Reflections

Today is Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of the season of Lent. I have very vivid memories of Lent from my childhood days. Wednesday night Lenten services were not an option in our house. Somewhere around fourth or fifth grade my parents started requiring my attendance. My mom and dad sang in the choir, so I sat quietly in the pew with my grandmother. It was hard not to be solemn in the sanctuary. The lights were turned low and candles flickered at the end of each row. Our pastor always wore a black robe, with a white surplice over the top. During Lent he left the surplice in the closet and was robed only in black. No stole, the only adornment being a large silver cross. That cross seemed to jump out from the black background. I can still sing many of those Lenten hymns from memory: There is a Fountain Filled With Blood, O Sacred Head Now Wounded and Come to Calvary's Holy Mountain.

It wasn't until I was in college and had to study theology that the true impact Lent came clear to me. As a child I never thought much about the contrast between Lent and Easter. I think it was professor Tom Strieter who enlightened me. Confession and absolution lead to celebration. To truly celebrate our Lord's Resurrection, we must first acknowledge our sinful nature. It was my sins that caused his suffering. I recall the first time I watched Mel Gibson's movie, The Passion of the Christ,. I was moved to tears by the realization that I caused His suffering.

One shortcoming of contemporary worship is that we lose sight of the liturgical church year. That's why I think it is vital that all Christian parents encourage their children and teens to observe Lent. More than that, we need to make sure the next generation understands the full meaning of the Lent. Christmas is a great celebration, but unless Christ suffered for our sins and defeated death and the devil by rising again we have no hope. The crux of who we are as people of faith is found in the contrast that is Lent and Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment