Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Man and His Poopy Dog: WWDD

It's Father's Day this coming Sunday. I know I've written about my dad before, but a recent incident caused me to once again reflect on his impact on my life.

My dad tried to be friendly with everyone he met. He liked to sit on the front porch and chat with the folks who passed by. My folks lived in the City of Detroit until 2004 when his health declined. The neighborhood went through lots of changes and eventually declined, but my parents were able to survive in the same house for over forty years. I think a lot of the credit should go to my dad.

Today, we live on a corner lot. Instead of a front porch we have a back patio. We chose to install a white picket fence, as opposed to a wooden privacy barrier. I too like to be able to greet my neighbors as they pass by. One familar face is an older man who rides a three-wheeled bike. It's the kind that allows him to peddle from a seated position. I assume he's a Viet Nam veteran because he wears a cap representing that conflict. An American Flag is displayed on a pole at the rear of the bike. I can always hear him coming because he has speakers installed on the back of his bike. He listens to conservative talk radio and has the volume cranked way up. The first time I heard it I immediately thought I was in the midst of some propaganda campaign.

The man also has a little dog. It's really is a mangy mutt, and not the least bit friendly. It barks and growls at everything. Our city has an ordinance that makes it illegal for people to allow their dog to defecate on public or private property. Dog owners are supposed to carry plastic bags and clean-up after their dogs do their duty. I don't think this man has totally embraced the law. When I notice his mutt leaving a deposit on my lawn one day, I reminded him of the law. His response, "S_ _ _ happens. Deal with it."

I the past I would wave to the man and attempt to engage in conversation, but since that day I've ignored him. Recently, I've had second thoughts. I've had to consider WWDD: What would dad do? Am I going to let a pile of poop keep me from at least trying to extend a hand of friendship? Granted, in this case it's probably going to be rejected, but at least I have tried.

I have no doubt that there is a connection between WWDD and WWJD: What would Jesus do? I know the source of my dad's core values. Now I am now compelled to live the same way. I challenge you to do the same. As parents and grandparents, we need to model love and acceptance, not anger and judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment