Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Survey Says: It's Tough Being a Dad

A new survey from the Pew Research Center caught my attention.  Most Say Being a Father Today is more Difficult, the heading announced.  The report was based on a 2011 survey of over 250 dad and a slightly higher number of mothers.  A majority of dads, 63%, stated it was more difficult today.  48% of moms were in agreement.  Only 8% of dads polled felt it was easier today.  The balance felt the degree of difficulty was about the same when it came to their role as a father.

While the survey sample was relatively small, I still found the results troubling.  From a historical perspective, I can identify numerous times when being a dad was more difficult.  When just considering the 20th Century I can pinpoint several periods when fathering was probably more of a challenge.  The period of the Great Depression immediately comes to mind.  For many dads the financial challenges were so overwhelming that they actually abandoned their children.  During World War II many dad left home to defend their country, other older dads had to face the prospect of having their sons and daughters placed in harms way.  Having lived through the Viet Nam War era and also the racial tensions of the sixties, I know that was a tough time to be a dad as well.

I think one of the reasons dads today view things as being more difficult is because they have lost perspective.  That is not just limited to a historical view.  I truly believe we need to keep things in perspective spiritually.  My faith in God assures me that he will never put me in a situation that I cannot handle.  Through God's power I truly believe that like Paul, "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."  (Philippians 4:13)  I know I am not alone in that perspective because I hear the same conviction expressed by other Christian fathers.

Perhaps the problem is too many men today have their priorities wrong.  When our priorities get turned around, over time things become more difficult.  When we focus on ourselves and the things of this world we are destined to a life where we are never satisfied.  Everything, including the responsibilities we have to our families, becomes more difficult.  Our relationship with God must be our number one priority. 

No comments:

Post a Comment