Friday, June 29, 2012

The Tale of Two Dads

I spend Wednesday mornings at DFW Airport.  I am a DFW Airport Ambassador.  If you've been through DFW and seen the folks in green vests and jackets: I am one of those.  During a typical four hour shift I usually assist about a hundred people, providing information and helping folks navigate around the enormous airport.  It's also a great place to people watch and this past Wednesday I saw observed two dads who were about as polar opposite as possible.

Dad #1 was traveling with his two sons, I would have judged them to be around eight and ten years old.  Dad was a good looking, projecting the image of a successful professional.  His sons were well behaved.  One of them was watching a video on a personal DVD player and the other sat quietly reading a book.  Dad, was busy texting on a cell phone, when a second cell phone went off.  Must be an important guy I thought: Two cell phones.  He now became engaged in a heated conversation with whoever had called.  I assumed it was business related.  He was not happy that someone had evidently, in his terms, "Screwed up."  Dad seem oblivious to his sons.   As he continued his tirade, their focus shifted from what they were doing to watching dad.  I felt bad for them.  Not only was dad preoccupied, but they had to see him at his worst.  At that moment, it was like his sons didn't exists.  I have to wonder how dad will feel in a few years when the roles are reversed: Kids busy texting and ignoring dad.

When I first noticed Dad #2 I didn't even know he was a father.  In the days of TSA security, it's unusual to see folks waiting inside security for an arriving flight, but this fellow was, and he was obviously anxious.  When the flight arrived he moved closer and waited nervously as passengers exited.  Finally he broke out into a huge grin.  Soon the grin turned to a laugh.  Obviously one of the departing passengers had brought him great joy.  He hurried to the door where he greeted thee little boys who were acccompanied by a flight attendant.  Hugs were exchanged and, after a prompt from the flight attendant, he showed her his photo ID.  He signed a release and gathered the three boys together. I assumed he was their birth dad and the boys were coming for a summer visit.  

I would like to think that Dad #1 is a good father and that he is going to get to spend some quality time with his sons on this trip.  I only hope I was seeing him at his worst.  I am also sure that there are going to be some moment when Dad #2 is going to get frustrated with his three boys.  I only wish that I could have gotten the two men together to talk about their experiences and perspectives.  There is so much to being a good dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment