Saturday, January 12, 2013

Getting Involved and Making a Difference

I spent yesterday teaching at our local middle school.  I work with the students every other Friday as part of the Student Advancement Leadership Initiative (SALI) program of LINC-North Texas.  My partner, a college student, and I teach leadership skills and mentor the students.  In addition to the time teaching, we have parent nights and also have the opportunity to accompany the students on field trips.  When I was first approached about being part of the SALI program I did hesitate.  People have the impression that since I am retired I have a lot of discretionary time.  Actually my schedule is quite full.  I work for a hospital chaplaincy service two days a week and try to keep another two days a week open for writing.  I also volunteer as an ambassador at DFW Airport one morning a week.  I was not looking for something else to do.  

In the end it was an easy decision.  It puts me into the world of teenagers again and I know I am making a difference in my community.  Since 90% students are Hispanic, I am also learning a lot about them, their families and their needs. My confidence in the public school system has also been heightened.  The school is clean and well run.  The teachers seem to genuinely care and the students are well behaved and eager to learn.

I would encourage you to find a way to volunteer with the kids in your community as well.  I realize that as parents and grandparents you are busy.  You also have your own families to to take care of, but when you get involved in the lives of kids you are broadening your perspective.  You also are showing you care about others, and you are also setting an example for your own kids.

Volunteer at your church, at your local school or community center.   Join Big Brothers or Big Sisters.  Now is the time to begin to make a difference.  By the way, if you live in the DFW area we can always use more SALI teachers.


No comments:

Post a Comment