Saturday, January 26, 2013

Guess Who Is Making Poor Choices?

We hear a lot about children and teens making poor choices, but if an article I read in USA Today earlier this week is correct young mom's are making poor decisions too.  The issue is using a cell phone while driving.  The percentage of young moms doing it parallels the number of teenagers.

The study was done jointly American Baby magazine and the organization Safe Kids World Wide.  It involved 2,396 moms with children under the age of two.  According to the research, 78% of moms with young children talk on the phone while driving.  26% of the same group text or check
e-mail while behind the wheel.  Just an observation, but I suspect that the percentage for all women closely parallels that.  I also suspect that adult men are not far behind. 

Having spent time working with kids and their parents, the latest statistics don't surprise me.  I could write a book on "Stupid Parent Tricks."  By the way, there would be a couple of chapters featuring the poor choices that I have made as a parent.  I do think I drew the line when it came to decisions that involved my sons  and daughter's safety.  Driving while talking on the phone, with kids in the backseat should be an easy decision.  Don't do it.

The welfare of our children, no matter what their age, should always be our highest priority. 

No comments:

Post a Comment