Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas: The Real Father's Day

The following is one of the prayers that was included in my book, Real Men Pray, which was published in 1996.  It is my prayer again this Christmas.

This is Your day, Father.
Easter belongs to Jesus and His victory over death,
but Christmas belongs to You.

I can't imagine the struggle You must have gone through.
You allowed Your Son to become a human being
and not only face the humiliation of human life,
but even death itself.
And Jesus did it for the sake of all people, many of whom couldn't care less.

Sometimes this fact restrains my Christmas celebration.
All the world appears joyful as,
"Peace on Earth" becomes the cliche' of the day.
Everyone become religious as they celebrate the birth of a Child
they personally do not know.

Father, others might struggle to understand my melancholy attitude.
But as a father, I reflect on your cost.
I pray that You would make me a disciple
worthy of the price You and Jesus paid.
As a sinner, I know I can never measure up.
And as a redeemed saint, I know I can never stop trying.

Father, thanks for Christmas and the new life
You have given me.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment