Monday, December 9, 2013

Reflections on the Legacy of Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela died last week.  While I am not much of a student when it comes to world news, there are certain individuals who because of their leadership and character have left an impression on me.  Nelson Mandela is on that short list.  I recall reading about the injustice of apartheid in the book Cry the Beloved Country.  Nelson Mandela took the lead when it came to ending the oppression that served as the backdrop for that story.  He was arrested and imprisoned because of his resistance to apartheid.  After twenty-seven years in prison, through is will and determination, the battle was won.  One image that is etched in my memory is the walk as he left prison.  Throngs of his supporters lined the road to cheer him on, but he walked humbly.  Two of my favorite quotes came from that chapter of Nelson Mandela's story.  In responding to how he could forgive those who had imprisoned him he commented, “As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.”  Another time he noted, "Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies."  It is no wonder that an entire country, including those who opposed him, learned to respect him and elected him their leader.

While I have never experienced injustice to the same degree as Nelson Mandela, there have been times when I have been a victim.  I recall one time years ago when I was publicly attacked and falsely accused.  While I didn't handle that incident with anything close to the dignity and humility of Nelson Mandela, I came away ready to forgive those who had slandered me.  In time, one of those involved in the trying to have me removed from my position at the church became a friend.   Unfortunately, two of the families involved left the church.  I never had the opportunity to settle accounts with them.  In my heart I have forgiven them and moved on.  Yes: resentment over past injustices can become a deadly poison. 


Hardly a month goes by without some news story featuring the family of a victim.  Often the quotes reflect anger; "I hope he rots in prisons."  "I can never forgive her for what she has done to our family."  Nothing is gained when we do not forgive those who have wronged us.  In his book, Forgive and Forget, Lewis Smedes encourages readers to even forgive those who have no regard for us. 

Nelson Mandela should serve as a model for all of us, especially those of us who are trying to relate to teens and young adults.  Like all of us, they tend to make mistakes.  Sometimes, in the process, they offend and hurt us.  We need to forgive and always keep the door open.  Without forgiveness there will never be reconciliation.  Without reconciliation we will have no opportunity to pass the torch of faith and values. 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment