Monday, October 26, 2015

Change or Die: That is the Question

One of the respected voices when it comes to the church and ministry in a changing world is Thom Rainer.  Thom Rainer is the current president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources, an entity of the Southern Baptist Convention in Nashville, Tennessee.  He and his son, Jess Rainer, wrote one of the early books on the millennial generation.  One of his most recent books is Autopsy of a Deceased Church. Considering that title, I was not surprised by one of his recent quotes: “Unfortunately, when faced with a life or death choice, most churches end up choosing death over change and life.”  The comment was included in an article on how an aging church can begin to change. 

My experience tends to reinforce that statement.   As I drive around north Dallas I see a lot of large churches that now stand vacant, or almost empty.  I recall a visit with one young pastor who had been assigned out of seminary to a once vibrant church.  As you drive by the church the facilities still look impressive, and include a large education building.  When he informed me that he had responsibility for youth and children’s ministry I pictured an exciting program teeming with kids.  I was shocked at his comments, “I have been there six months and am exhausted from searching the closets looking for kids.  They do not need a youth pastor, but they have always had one so I occupy the office.”  He went on to inform me that worship attendance averaged less than one hundred.  It was only because some of the members had deep pockets that they managed to stay open.    The neighborhood around the church has changed, but obviously the ministry of the church had not.

Resistance to change is something I know too well.  I spent most of my adult life ministering to teenagers and their families.  In every case I was called to serve in churches that had lots of history and tradition.  Teenagers tend to be agents of change, willing to push the envelope.  I was often perceived as the “front person” for that change.  Early in my ministry I found myself in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.  I was serving the “mother church” in a town of less than 40,000 with five Lutheran Churches.  Talk about traditions!  That congregation was only a few years from holding its last regular service in the German Language.  It was into that setting that we introduced guitars and contemporary worship.  It was a rocky road but today Trinity is still a thriving church that offers contemporary worship, in addition to traditional services.

Thom Rainer offered some ideas on how aging church can reverse the trend.  The first tip sounds pretty simple: successful ministry in a church begins with the power of prayer.  The second tip also sounds easy: churches who are reaching young adults have seniors who are intentionally making relationships with younger Christians.  Two simple steps: Set a goal to change and then commit that goal to the Lord, then go out a seek relationships.  Unfortunately it often can be more of a challenge.  How do we build relationships with young adults?  I believe it starts with a change in attitude.  Think about it, you probably have contact with young people.  Perhaps they are coworkers or neighbors.  Others might be those we intersect with casually; the clerk at the convenience store or the receptionist who greets us when we visit the doctor or dentist. 

I would add another hint; stop thinking of every young person you meet as a potential church member and see them rather as a lost soul.  We need to move from the traditional model of church membership to a missional lifestyle that allows us to be Jesus in the world.   When we live that lifestyle it permeates other aspects of our lives.  In the end, that is what the church is.  The church is not a building, or even a group of believers.  The church is individual disciples of Jesus Christ living out the mission that He initiated. 





No comments:

Post a Comment