Monday, October 12, 2015

Generation Gap

I am part of a volunteer program that provides hospitality service in the Dallas-Fort Worth community.  Because of the time commitment involved most of the volunteers are senior citizens who are retired.  As part of the program we are furnished with our uniforms. Since I joined the program we have worn a rather traditional jacket, with an optional vest.  The primary feature, however, is a cowboy hat.  I have always enjoyed wearing the uniform and often get comments, especially about the hat.
 
About a year ago we were informed that we would be getting new uniforms within two years.  Recently we were allowed to see images of what the new uniforms would look like.  Last week I attended a meeting where we were allowed to make comments.  One of my male colleagues actually modeled a prototype of the uniform.  In my mind the new apparel looks sharp.  If the changes come to fruition the men will be wearing light gray business suits, with a white shirt and a bright orange tie, but no hats.   In my mind the women have a lot of options, one of which is a dress in a similar shade of orange as the men’s ties.  Alternatives are similar gray slacks or skirts with a white blouse.   While I sincerely liked the new look, many of my colleagues were not happy.  Many in fact were angry and borderline irate.  They like the traditional look of the current apparel.  One gentleman commented that with the bright colors (orange tie and matching scarf for the women), we looked like clowns.  In the process of the discussion it was revealed that much of the decision was made by younger members of the organization.  The motive was to update our look to appeal to the clientele we are supposed to serve. 

Based on my experience in attempting to help older adults understand the shift in culture, I felt compelled to comment.  We might be volunteers but we are still in the service business.  It is important for us to project an image that appeals to those we desire to serve.  What we are wearing should not be what we like.  Rather, we should consider what others find appealing.  Their needs should come before ours. 

As I think about it, there are some parallels between my experience with my fellow volunteers and the church.  I often hear similar complaints from older church members, referencing change.   How can we worship using that style of music, or how can we have a church without having a Sunday school?  Uniforms: What is this with our pastors wearing an open-collar shirt, and people attending church in jeans? 

The reality is change is going to happen, so deal with it.  If we only think in terms of what we feel comfortable with, we are going to have a dwindling audience to appeal to.  In the case of the church, we can only anticipate even more empty pews in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment