Monday, October 5, 2015

IT'S NOT ABOUT ME!

Perhaps you have seen the video of the young women taking “selfies” while attending a baseball game.  If you have not viewed it you can find it on my Facebook page.  The video is almost as funny as it is sad.  That the young ladies are so self-absorbed is what makes it disturbing.  In actuality I should not be surprised.  In fact, I am part of the problem.  Facebook and Twitter might be called “social media” but it is easy to make them personal promotional tools.  We post things about ourselves with the expectation that others will view them.  In the process we are putting the focus on ourselves.

 One of the characteristics that “experts” have tagged on Millennials is that they are self-absorbed.  Watching the video might reinforce that conclusion.  But, considering the way many of us use social media, I am not sure that cannot be said for our entire culture.  Makes me wonder if having a camera on my cellular device is a good idea, but then I do not recall the last time I took a picture with a camera.  I even have a selfie with my ninety-four year old mother.  I will show it to you if you just ask and no, I did not attempt to explain the term “selfie” to her. 

As I have shared before, one of the core values of our church, The Crossing Church-Dallas is “It’s not about me.”  It is based on Jesus’ total sacrifice.  His earthly ministry was all about meeting the needs of others.  With the exception of the times that he slipped off to for prayer and time with his Father, Jesus seems oblivious to his own needs. 

If there is to be change in the trend away from our societies narcissistic tendencies it needs to start with me.  I am going to make a new commitment to share less about my personal life, and more about my desire to impact the lives of Millennials.  I would encourage you to do the same. It's not about you.


No comments:

Post a Comment