Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Family


I have experienced a lot of quality family time over the last two weeks. Since all our kids and grand-kids live in the DFW area, people assume we see each other regularly.  The reality of having so many of us involved in ministry means we have busy lives.  The occasions when we are all together in the same spot for an extended period of time is rare.  This summer has been special because Barb and I celebrated fifty years of marriage.  In June we had an extended family reunion to celebrate.

As part of the celebration, two weeks ago we were all together on Galveston Island for five days.  We created a lot of happy memories.  As the patriarch, I was content sitting in a chair watching the young folks frolic in the gulf surf.   Our family loves to play games.   Pinochle is part the Couser family tradition.   I always travel with a deck of pinochle cards in my suitcase.  Galveston was no exception.  While I did find much success at the card table, I achieve my first victory in the board game Ticket to Ride.  A more recent family past-time is playing Settlers of Cattan.  While I enjoy the game, I have yet to figure out the strategy on that game.  Our time sharing two condos on Galveston Island was a memorable in a positive way.

My journey since has been less pleasurable.  A week ago today I had hip replacement surgery.  Again, family was part of the journey.  Mark sat with Barb while I was in surgery and Katie was waiting when I arrived in my room after surgery.  Peter called and prayed with me the morning before I went into the operating room.  He stayed in regular contact throughout my hospital stay.  The whole gang was part of the transition home.  Katie picked me up from the hospital and Peter and Mark, along with two of Peter and Amy’s sons, moved a bed from upstairs into the family room.  Mark spent the first night home sleeping on the couch next to me.  It is probably appropriate that my first extended time sitting up was at our dining room table Sunday afternoon playing Ticket to Ride.

My rehab is proving more difficult than I anticipated but my family keeps encouraging me.  All three of our kids, and two of our grandsons have been able to assist me at different times.  Not a day goes when I do not hear a word of encouragement from each of them.  It is not limited to immediate family.  Katie’s in-laws have been there as well.  Kim Seale visited me in the hospital and prayed with me.  Laura Seale sat with me Sunday morning so Barb could play the organ at Prince of Peace. 

We need to cherish the family relationships that we have.  Life within a family can get messy at times but we need each other.  That includes our church family as well.  God did not create us to live our lives on an island.  Relationships are a way to share God’s gifts of love, mercy, compassion and grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment