Saturday, August 3, 2019

Hey: I am Cusper


I recently found out that I am a “Cusper.”  I guess I should be somewhat relived that my generation at least has an identity.   In case you are puzzled, Custers are those born on the “cusp” of a generation.  I was born in 1946 and always was labeled as a Baby Boomer but in reality I do not fit the mold.  While most Baby Boomers want to retire and move to Sun City, or some similar “senior adult” community, I have no desire to spend the rest of the life play cards and hanging with other “old” people.  I definitely do not see myself as a member of the “Silent Generation.”  Other than hearing World War II from my Uncle Don, a WW II Veteran, I have no experience with that conflict.  Now I have a hanger on which I can place my generational cap.  I am a “Cusper.”

Okay, I am not a Cusper in the current context.  That is a term that seems to be reserved for those born on the cusp of the Millennial and Gen Z generations.  Loosely, they are those born during the last decade of the 20th Century.  As a group, they are less self-absorbed and more focused than Millennials but not as driven to change the world as Gen Z’s. They also have vague memories of 9/11 and can recall life before hand-held mobile devices.  Like many Gen Z’s, Cuspers tend to be driven by social and environmental issues.  They desire to affiliate with organizations that are engaged with the world and the community.  They want to make a difference in the world.  Ministries to the homeless or economically challenged are important to them.  They will support efforts to feed starving children whether it is in Africa or inner city America.  They also are environmentally conscious.

It is probably best to remember that all Generational labels are arbitrary.  Not every person born within a period of time is going to be exactly like every other person their age.  God has created us each as a unique individual.  That uniqueness is what makes the world an interesting place but it can also frustrate those who desire to market a product or design a ministry to reach them.  In the case of those born too late to be a “true” Millennial and too old to a genuine member of Generation Z, they now have a generational identity. 

That does not make it easier to minister to the current Cuspers.  Part of that is their transient lifestyle.  Many of them are still in college, meaning they drift in and out of our lives.  Even if they are starting a career, they are probably still struggling to establish an adult identity.  All of which serves as a reminder that we need to not focus on ministering to a generation and more on reaching individuals one on one.


No comments:

Post a Comment