Monday, August 19, 2019

Reflections on El Paso


It was almost ten years ago that I came back from a mission trip with a challenge that God had put on my heart.  I had spent five days in the town of Booneville, Arkansas.  One of the local pastors asked us to spend time walking the streets of that economically challenged community praying for the town and its people.  I came back determined to prayer-walk our entire city of 25,000.  It took me about eight months but I accomplished my goal.  I met some interesting people and came away captivated by the diversity of Farmers Branch, Texas.  There is one impression that remains with me to this day.

Some nights I would walk blocks past manicured lawns and fine homes.  On those evenings the only sounds were an occasional mower or the whirring of a sprinkler head.  Other evenings I passed homes where neighbors were on the porches or standing in their driveways.  On those evenings I often struggled to walk a few blocks before the sun started to set.  People were curious.  They wanted to engage in conversation.  My only regret was my Spanish was limited to a few words.  Most of the time, I had to rely on someone to be my translator.  My conclusion: Anglos are content spending their evening inside the comfort of their homes, while Hispanics enjoy a sense of community.  In the Hispanic neighborhoods, families were often eating outside, sharing food and fellowship with their neighbors.  Neighbors were helping each other with projects, like putting new brakes on a truck or making repairs on their homes. 

I thought of my experience last week as I watched the residents of El Paso, Texas mourn together after the tragic events in their town.  My only time in El Paso was spent in the airport making a connection on Southwest Airlines.  I have spent extended time in other border towns.  I have been on mission trips to McAllen, Brownsville and Del Rio.  On my trips into interior Mexico our passage point was always Laredo, Texas.  The impression stays with me.  There is a real sense of community in each of those cities.  People want to engage in conversation.  They want to extend hospitality and are ready to help in any way possible.  They also know how to cook and their entire celebrations center around food and friends.  They also watch out for and protect each other.  If there is crime, it usually comes from outside the neighborhood. 

In the most recent case, the people of El Paso also know how to grieve together.  The population of El Paso might surpass 650,000 but in actuality it is a community of neighborhoods.  People work and worship together.  They support and watch out for each other.  While I sensed a lot of grief, I did not hear a lot of anger.  I heard little discussion about gun control, rather the focus was on healing and sending a message that “we will get through this together.” 

“In this world, you will have trouble. 
But take heart, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

While politicians and lobbyist argue about gun control and security from domestic violence, I believe God has called us to be people of hope in a broken and hurting world.


No comments:

Post a Comment