Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Bible Reading Down During the Pandemic

A good number of years ago I was serving as the head of hotel life team for a national youth gathering.  As is typical, we have a meeting with the hotel staff prior to the event.  In addition to the hotel convention manager representatives from the other departments within the hotel from the front desk to catering were present.  In the middle of the meeting the hotel manager stopped by introduce herself.  I was immediately impressed.  There was something about her that led me to see her as someone who was a cut above.  When she stated, “If you have an issue that you feel is not being handled well, let me know.”  While I would have expected such an invitation, I sensed this person meant it.

We did have an issue, but time has caused me to forget what it even was.  I just remember being frustrated.  One morning I happened to pass by the manager’s office and notice that her door was open.  I knocked on her door and she invited me in with a smile.  As she stood to greet me, I noticed an open Bible on her desk.  She listened and promised to address the concern immediately.  When I commented on the Bible, she said that she started each day with a scripture and kept the Bible open all day as a reminder.

The experience stayed with me.  At that point in my life, my devotional life left much to be desired.  Being a full-time DCE, husband and father were taking its toll on me.  From then on, starting each day in the office in Gods Word became my routine.  During my years as a high school counselor I started the pattern of having my devotional time at home.  The reality of my world at that time was when I walked in the door to school my time was not my own. 

The importance of my private devotional time has become vital during this pandemic.  Like most home-bound folks, I have struggled to stay productive and positive.  My search to find some spiritual support has led me re-read some of my favorite devotional books by Max Lucado.  I have also discovered the writing of Robert Farrar Capon.  I am weathering this storm because I am into God’s Word on a daily basis.

I share this in light of a disturbing new report.  The American Bible Society, in cooperation with the Barna Group, does an annual State of the Bible survey.  According to their newest data, Bible reading as sunk to an all-time low since the beginning of the Pandemic. The percentage of Christians who read the Bible on a daily basis has dropped from 9%, down from 12% a year ago. 

I really view this as a challenge.  It is a personal challenge to ramp up my own study of God’s Word in preparation for my personal walk of discipleship.  It is also an encouragement to find ways to encourage others to come along side me in this walk.  If we are to survive this difficult time and come our strong on the other side, we need to rely more on God’s power and less on our own planning and busyness.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment