Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Is Our Freedom Killing Us?

 

Like most older adults, I do not venture out much these days.  Other than trips to the doctor and dentist, my only times out are to go to the store.  I cannot say that I have adjusted to the new normal, but I usually feel safe when shopping.  The employees are all wearing mask and in general folks seem to be social distancing.  It is difficult to be friendly with people when they cannot see your smile, and even showing gratitude toward the person at the checkout counter is difficult when they are behind a Plexiglas barrier.

I did encounter one exception to the COVID-19 protocol when visiting my favorite Aldi last week.  There was clearly a sign on the door informing shoppers that “face mask is required.”  Normally there is even an off-duty Dallas Policeman stationed on security duty near the front of the door.  In the midst of my shopping there was one woman who seemed oblivious to the rules.  She moved up and down the aisle seemingly unaware of the guidelines that were set down to protect her and others.  She was not wearing a mask and she seemed to be ignoring the directional arrows on the floor.  I would have estimated that the offender was about my age.  The way that she was dressed led me to believe that she led a very comfortable lifestyle.  It was hard not thinking, “she should know better.”

Unfortunately, she represented a certain segment of the population that, A) thinks the pandemic is a hoax or B) believes the requirement to wear a mask is a violation of their freedom.  Either way, I think those folks, estimated to be around 10% of the population, are responsible for the pandemic still being out of control.  It is not just the bikers who recently gathered in Sturgis, South Dakota or the college students who are seen partying on the beach.  There are a good number of older adults who are ignoring the plea to “wear a mask.”

The debate continues on the source of the virus and even whether or not it is part of a conspiracy.  Health experts world-wide are calling it a pandemic.  They are united in their appeal to social distance and “wear a mask.”  In the midst of this the United States seems to be the one country that cannot get things under control.  I believe we are also the only country that has turned the “wearing of a mask” into a political issue.  As a result, our freedom is literally killing us. 

COVID-19 is real.  In April, my 97-year-old uncle died from the virus.  I have talked online with folks who have battled through the virus and their testimony is all the proof I need.  Don’t mess with COVID-19.  Anything you can do to prevent the spread should be a requirement. 

This is especially the case for older adults, who cannot afford to get the virus and should also be taking the lead in stopping its spread.  I do not like being sheltered at home.  It saddened me to have a family gathering where we could not hug each other.  Wearing a mask is not comfortable, but I also know it is the thing to do.  The Bible is clear in the command to obey those in authority.  In this case the voices are unilateral in their plea… “wear a mask.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment