Thursday, August 20, 2020

Wilderness Wanderings

 

The Children of Israel spent forty years wandering in the wilderness.  What should have been a one-year journey from Egypt to Palestine was extend because of some poor decisions made by their leaders early in the trip.  At the root of the problem was a lack of faith.  As a result, people were inconvenienced and many lost their lives.  I believe God put the story in the Bible in hope that we might learn from their experience.

I have been focusing on the Children of Israel and their trials in the wilderness a lot over the last few weeks.  I see some similarities in our current situation.  We are now five months into the COVID-19 pandemic and there is no site of the end.  In my opinion, some decisions made by our leaders early in the pandemic has lengthened the journey.  The “promised land” of normalcy seems a long way off, as we wait for a vaccine. Like the Children of Israel, we have no conception [T1] [T2]  of what life after the pandemic will look like. 

As I studied the story in Exodus, I note that two things sustained the Children of Israel during their wilderness wanderings.  God provided for their needs and he was also visibly present in their lives.  On a daily basis he gave them the gift of manna and quail so they could eat.  He also miraculously supplied them with water, even though they were in a barren land.  He also led them throughout their journey with a cloud during the day and a pillar of fire at night.  The religious leaders also constructed the Tabernacle where they could worship.  It also served as a “tent of meetings” so Moses could personally converse with Yahweh.

As I wander through this wilderness of the COVID-19 pandemic I am very much aware of God’s presence.  In many ways this has been a spiritual journey unlike any I have ever experienced.  I am reminded of God’s goodness each morning during my personal quiet time and at night after turning off the light.  I have a scripture verse that I select each day.  Those words sustain me each day.  God is good, and Barb and I have lacked for nothing during this time, aside from the obvious absence of fellowship.  God’s Word serves as my cloud and pillar of fire. 

Aaron’s words still sustain me:

“The Lord bless you and keep you;

The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you;

The Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.”

(Numbers 6:24-26)

 

 

 


 [T1]

 [T2]

No comments:

Post a Comment