Friday, September 18, 2020

Standing in the Gap

We are still six weeks away from the national election and I am already weary of the political rhetoric.  We have stopped answering the house phone, knowing most of the calls are political in nature.  I pretend to have blinders on when I take my evening walks around the neighborhood trying to ignore the political yard signs.  I do not watch much television but when I do it is usually pre-recorded so I can fast-forward through the political commercials.  The one place I cannot avoid the political rhetoric is Facebook.  Social media is part of my life.  I use it not only to network with friends but share my ministry.  I can block the political ads but I am not going to unfriend someone just because I find their political statement offensive. 

Jesus is not pro-republican or pro-democrat.  When Jesus died on the cross, He did so for all people.  He loves those who are pro-life, just as He does those who are pro-choice.  He loves the gun rights activist the same way He loves those who pursue legislation to restrict who has the weapons.  He loves those who come to our borders seeking a new life in the same way he loves those who live in gated communities.  He loves those who want to make America great again, in the same way he loves those who cry for social justice and the end of racial inequality.  I pray each morning for President Trump in the same way I pray for Vice President Biden. 

From my perspective, I am called to stand in the gap holding high the cross of Jesus Christ.  He continues to be the only hope for our broken world.  The heated voices from either side only dishonor the Savior who died for us.  What our world needs is the hope and healing only Jesus can provide. 

Yes, I have an opinion.  When it comes to casting my vote, I will express that at the ballot.  In the meantime, I am standing in the gap praying for both sides.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment