Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Stop... Listen... and Learn

My friend, Jerry, invited me to play golf last Friday.  Jerry volunteers as a marshal at a local course and he was excited to show me the layout.  He had reserved a tee time and instructed me to meet him in the parking lot a half hour before.  Since I had never been to the course I left early and was there plenty early.  On arrival I sent Jerry a text saying that I was waiting and then proceeded to get out my clubs and change into my golf shoes.  As I was doing so, a fellow rode up in a golf cart and asked if I needed a ride to the club house.  Turns out he was waiting for his playing partner as well.  Before I could accept his offer my phone vibrated.  I checked and had a text message from Jerry; “Wait.”  I declined the fellow’s offer and ask what his tee time was.  It turned out he had the time just before ours.  As he responded he became quite agitated.   “This guy is always late,” he complained.  “He’s a young guy and he doesn’t wear a watch.”

 I reached into my car to get my face mask that I would need to enter the club house.  “You know this whole virus thing is a hoax,” he boldly stated.  He then proceeded to give me a lecture on how the virus was a plot to keep President Trump from being reelected.  I wanted to tell him I had lost an Uncle to the virus, but decided it was not worth the argument. 

Fortunately, my friend Jerry soon arrived.  I was grateful I had read his text.  Turns out since Jerry volunteers at the course he had enough hours credited so that he could cover my greens fee.  Unfortunately, Jerry had not had to hear the same discourse from my new friend.  The upside was that he offered Jerry a ride to the clubhouse so he could check-in and get our golf cart.  I followed behind carrying my clubs. 

I arrived at the staging area to find Jerry in the cart waiting for me.  “We won’t have time to hit any practice balls he reported.  The group ahead of us is waiting on one person, so we can move up.”  My mind immediately went back to the fellow we had met.  In the mean time a call had gone out over the speaker that someone was to report to the #1 tee immediately.  Within a minute our friend from the parking lot raced past us heading for the tee box.  It turns out his friend had been waiting for him the whole.

Since we had arrived at the tee as well, we were privy to a rather heated exchange.  It turns out the fellow waiting in the tee box had tried to text and call his waiting partner.  Our new friend was so caught up in his anger and frustration that he never checked his phone.  He just assumed he was right and the other gentleman was late.  Fortunately, the golf course starter intervened and got them on their way, alas ten minutes behind schedule.

As we waited for our turn, we had an opportunity to process what had taken place with the marshal who was serving as starter.  He shared our opinion that what had happen was so typical of what is wrong with our world today.  People do not communicate.  Messages are sent, but all to often we get caught up in our own opinion and biases. That keeps us from hearing the messages and opinions of others. 

I’ve sensed it as I visit with my neighbors and discover the barriers created by the political signs in the front yards.  I have heard it in visits around the coffee pot at church and seen it played out in social media.  Unfortunately, we all witnessed it in the first Presidential Debate.  We have lost our ability to listen, and learn from each other.  We have lost our ability to be civil and fair with each other.  And, we have lost the ability to love one another. 

I pray we can again learn to stop… listen…. and learn.

and seen it played out in social media.  Unfortunately, we all witnessed it in the first Presidential Debate.  We have lost our ability to listen, and learn from each other.  We have lost our ability to be civil and fair with each other.  And, we have lost the ability to love one another. 

I pray we can again learn to stop… listen…. and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment