Saturday, September 12, 2020

The Eyes Have It

I have recently returned from a road trip.  It was my extended venture out into the new world.  Our son, Mark, and I traveled 2500 miles in seven days to attend a funeral in Michigan.  My 97-year-old uncle was one of the early victims of COVID-19 but we were not able to have a family gathering until now.  Uncle Don was a World War II vet, so he was buried with military honors.  He loved bagpipes and we were able to find an excellent piper to provide the music for the grave-side service.  Other than his pastor and the honor guard, the service was limited to family.

Trip itself seemed a little surreal.  We spent five nights in hotels and seldom saw anyone.  The lobbies were deserted and, with one exception, there was no complementary breakfast.  The people who served us were all wearing masks, which severely limited the conversation.  With two exceptions we ate only in fast-food restaurants, trying to use drive-thru when possible.  We restricted our rest stops to travel centers where we felt the restrooms would be clean and spacious.  Overall, I felt safe, and seemed to have returned home healthy.

I do have a few observations that I think will help us all as we move forward.  I say that because I now believe this is a long-term situation.  I think we are going to be living in this environment until there is a vaccine that is available to all who desire it.  That could be as long as a year from now.  So, as you venture out, here are some things to expect

People are more respectful. People are social distancing and as a result they seem to be more considerate of others.  People are not only giving each other space but seem to be more patient as they wait their turn in line.  In my time on the road, I cannot recall hearing one harsh word.

People seem distant.  What can I say?  I miss the casual conversations with people.  I enjoy meeting other travelers and those local people who serve me.  I enjoy talking with the truckers when I stop at a travel center and the spontaneous conversation with the people around me when I stop at a restaurant.  My mask creates an obvious barrier.  There is also the reality that there are few people close by to visit with.

Intimacy is a challenge.  I attended a funeral but there were few hugs.  The embraces I did receive were awkward.  As a result, my words need to convey more.  I need to go out of my way to express the things that I am feeling.  In the process I am giving other people the opportunity to express their feelings as well.

The eyes have it.  With our facial expressions hidden behind a mask, our eyes must become the way we reveal who we are.  Eye contact is not enough.  Our eyes must convey the hope that we have as the people of God.  If there is fear and despair in our hearts, that will be communicated through our eyes.  If there is one thing the world needs today, it is a spirit of hope. 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment