Monday, February 20, 2017

Dangerous Drivers

I was driving back to Dallas from Houston recently.  It was a Sunday morning and traffic was light. When conditions allow, I drive the speed limit.  I appreciate the cruise control not so much because I do not have to keep my foot on the accelerator but because it keeps me at a constant speed and prevents me from getting a ticket. 

In the distance I observed a car that seemed to be quickly getting closer.  What disturbed me was this car was weaving out of its lane.  The car would drift to the shoulder and then back across the left lane.  My initial thought was “drunk driver” but as I drew closer I realized it was a person on their cell phone.  What was especially troubling was this individual often gestured with the other hand.  Not a good deal.  I made two attempts to pass the car but fell back into the right lane both times when I saw them drifting into my lane.  After almost a mile I finally saw and opportunity an went past them.  In the process I realized that it was not a young driver but rather a middle aged woman.  After passing I observed her in my rear-view mirror.  She was having a very animated conversation with someone; unfortunately it was on an interstate highway while going sixty miles an hour.

A recent report from the American Automobile Association (AAA) focused on how dangerous our roads have become.  Almost 75% of those polled admitted engaging in a dangerous activity in the previous thirty days while driving.  A dangerous activity was defined as texting, speeding or running a red light.  The case above would not have even qualified.  She was only using her cell phone.

Young millennials received some negative press because they engaged in dangerous driving at a higher rate (88%) than did other age groups.  What was interesting to me was that the percentage of older adults (75+) and teens (16-18) who drive at risk was an identical 69%.  It is downright scary to me such a high percentage of drivers are engaging in dangerous driving.  An even more disturbing truth is that older adults who are supposed to be setting a better example are just as guilty. 


Setting an example for the younger generation should extend to all aspects of our lives.  That includes the way we conduct ourselves when behind the wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment