Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Millennials and The Poor Tax

I am not a fan of the lottery.  I have always thought of it as poor tax.  The frenzy that occurs when the jackpot reaches thirty or forty million dollar only confirms that.  I do not recall seeing many people driving Cadillac and Lexus stopping at the 7-Eleven to purchase tickets.  Sadly the opposite usually occurs.  I remember observing a women paying for paying for milk and bread with food stamps and then forking over $10 for lottery tickets. 

I recently saw a glimmer of hope.  It seems as though millennials are not playing the lottery the way their parents did.  According to a recent Gallup only a third of 18-29-year-olds played the lottery in the last year, compared to 61% of 50-64-year-olds.   Their budget-minded ways have lottery officials worried because it is impacting sales.  One reason might be at this is a generation that came of age in the recession, which might have made them less likely to see lottery tickets as a wise purchase. In the words of one 21-year-old, “I feel like everything's just too expensive nowadays to just kind of throw away your money on luck."  

I hope that young folks avoiding the lottery might be the beginning of a trend.  I also realize that I could be impacted financially.  The Texas Lottery does generate millions of dollars that go toward education and other programs.  To this point we have avoided a state income tax in Texas.  I suppose that could change if we see a budget shortfall because of a decline in the lottery.  I am okay with that. Unfortunately, I do not expect the lottery to go away all together.  Human greed and the dream that we might be able to get rich quick is part of our sinful human nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment